[whatwg] select required

Jon Barnett jonbarnett at gmail.com
Mon Aug 9 11:42:29 PDT 2010

I just read Hixie's message here:
http://lists.whatwg.org/htdig.cgi/whatwg-whatwg.org/2008-November/017583.html

<http://lists.whatwg.org/htdig.cgi/whatwg-whatwg.org/2008-November/017583.html>While
I understand the reasoning for not implementing a bunch of new attributes
and functionality, I would still like to see <select required> even without
the other suggestions as requiring at least one option element to be
successful with a non-empty value.

I was beginning to write a <form> for a site and I thought I'd go ahead and
use <input required> and <textarea required> with some css:
[required] ~ label:after { content: '*' }
... and possibly javascript to read that attribute, etc.

But since I can't implement that on my <select> elements and still validate,
I plan to skip the required attribute entirely and use class names instead
for now so that all the form elements are consistent.

--
Jon Barnett