[whatwg] input type="location" proposals

Diogo Resende dresende at thinkdigital.pt
Tue Aug 10 02:53:21 PDT 2010

On Mon, 2010-08-09 at 23:45 +0000, Ian Hickson wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Jun 2010, Eitan Adler wrote:
> >
> > Two separate use cases
> >
> > 1) For entry of locations into something like Google Maps or MapQuest.
> > In this case the form should look as it does now (a text box) but
> > browsers would be able to assist you in entering locations like it can
> > for for emails.
> >
> > 2) For entry of Lat/Long coordinates which can be entered either
> > manually or with some kind of map like interface.
> >
> > These are two separate proposals and I both could co-exist one as
> > type="location" and the other as type="gps"
>
> Could you give some examples of sites that would use this, and examples of
> how they're working around the lack of this feature currently?

Any CRM with clients/suppliers/partners/people might want to define a
GPS location for a building/office/destination. Currently they usually
use a text input.

> On Sun, 20 Jun 2010, Eitan Adler wrote:
> >
> > For type="gps" I was thinking something like the following:
> >
> > 1) type="gps" results in a (double?) text box which takes a latitude
> > and a longitude
> >
> > 2a) there is some css option that tells the text box to act like a map instead.
> >
> > 2b) If the css option is on there is also some method of requesting a
> > "map source" this source could be any existing map provider
> >
> > Then again now that I think about it some more I don't see this working
> > out too well.
>
> Does this solve a problem that two type=number controls wouldn't solve?

type=url and type=email are here for what? We could all use type=text
for everything.

> On Fri, 25 Jun 2010, Ashley Sheridan wrote:
> >
> > I think it's quite a fringe case. What about things that are more used:
> >
> > * type=number - a browser could aid input with some sort of spinner
> >
> > * type=price - a browser could use the locale to select a monetary
> > format, or at least display the amount in the locale format specified by
> > the document itself
> >
> > These are just a couple that I think would potentially be more useful
> > than type=location, as I see their use quite a lot. The price one is
> > probably more reserved to CMS's and auction sites, but these are fairly
> > common enough in use I feel. Number could be used for a whole plethora
> > of cases, such as a quantity amount in a shopping cart, an age field in
> > a form, or anything else where you might need a number that wouldn't
> > necessarily be sensible to use a type=range for.
>
> Well we have type=number. I don't know that type=price would be _that_
> useful; mostly prices are output, not input.

An invoice app would want price input for products or for specific
invoice adjustments.