[whatwg] select element should have a required attribute

Jesse McCarthy whatwg-2010-04 at jessemccarthy.net
Tue Aug 10 08:57:38 PDT 2010

I'm not sure what the right solution is, but here's my two cents.

I consider it highly desirable to have some way to differentiate between
SELECT values explicitly selected by the user and values that were selected
by default and unchanged by the user.  For that reason I've commonly
included "Choose one" options:

<option value="">Choose one</option>

> I can think of lots of places where an empty string is in-fact very useful
> for a select element, such as filters on search results forms

I also see Ashley's point because I've done that too.  E.g.

<select name="gender">

<option value="">Doesn't matter</option>

<option value="M">Male</option>

<option value="F">Female</option>

</select>

However, I think in those cases I could substitute some other value for
empty string (e.g. "*" in this case) that would communicate the necessary
information to the server-side logic.

> If you need to do that, then maybe use radio buttons instead.

I don't see that as a practical alternative in many cases: radio buttons
take up a lot more space.  Even in the gender example I gave, using radio
buttons instead would have a detrimental effect on the layout of the
particular form I took the example from.  And when there are more options it
makes a huge difference.  Radio buttons could be very unwieldy where a
SELECT works well.

Jesse