[whatwg] Please consider adding a couple more datetime <input> types - type="year" and type="month-day"

Bruce de Graaf WeBMartians at verizon.net
Thu Aug 12 07:55:17 PDT 2010

There exist well tested and respected algorithms to reliably and easily
convert Gregorian calendar dates (and times of day) to a variety of
forms, including Julian Day Numbers (a real (versus integer) count of
the days and fractions of days from some epoch).

Such conversions are not a readily available for other calendric
systems, even for the precursor to the Gregorian calendar, the Julian
calendar (no relation to the aforementioned Julian Day Number).

While some of the other systems have benefits, many have serious
deficiencies whose corrections could lead to out and out warfare (yes,
violence). Rather than add to the complexity of implementations, it
would be wise to ensure the reliability and extent of Gregorian
implementations ... for example, making available in Javascript
constants for a particular implementation's maximum and minimum and
ensuring that all implementations support, at least, 0001-01-01
00:00:00.000 through, say, 9999-12-31 23:59:59.999 (apologies to
ISO-8601 and the ,/. crowd).

Best!
===