[whatwg] Constraint validation feedback (various threads)

Aryeh Gregor Simetrical+w3c at gmail.com
Thu Aug 12 11:36:52 PDT 2010

On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 6:03 PM, Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> wrote:
> The script setting the value doesn't set the dirty flag. The only way this
> could be a problem is if the user edits the control and _then_ the script
> sets the value to an overlong value.

"""
value
On getting, it must return the current value of the element. On
setting, it must set the element's value to the new value, set the
element's dirty value flag to true, and then invoke the value
sanitization algorithm, if the element's type attribute's current
state defines one.
"""
http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/#common-input-element-apis

That seems to say that setting via .value will set the dirty flag
(although setting via .setAttribute() will not).  Am I mistaken?