[whatwg] Proposal: Add HTMLElement.innerText

Anne van Kesteren annevk at opera.com
Sun Aug 15 01:55:39 PDT 2010

On Sun, 15 Aug 2010 08:30:28 +0200, Adam Barth <w3c at adambarth.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 14, 2010 at 11:18 PM, Robert O'Callahan
> <robert at ocallahan.org> wrote:
>> On Sun, Aug 15, 2010 at 6:16 PM, Robert O'Callahan
>> <robert at ocallahan.org>
>> wrote:
>>>  Wouldn't you consider the interoperability benefits to the Web
>>> platform?
>>
>> Not to mention the benefit of simplifying the platform a tiny bit by
>> removing a feature which mostly duplicates another much more well-known
>> feature.
>
> I'm all for interoperability, but who's going to twist Microsoft's arm
> to remove the feature from IE?

If nobody else supports it they might remove it too. Maybe hidden behind
people using a standards DOCTYPE, but that is something at least.

> As far as simplifying the platform, innerText is but one grain of sand
> on the beach.

There's not quite that many APIs :-)

I personally think it's worth it to try cut down on legacy features when
we can. Even if it's only one feature at a time.

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/