[whatwg] Fullscreen feedback

Robert O'Callahan robert at ocallahan.org
Sun Aug 22 21:39:09 PDT 2010

On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 3:46 PM, Adam Barth <w3c at adambarth.com> wrote:

> Yeah, I agree that we'd need something like that in this model.  It's
> unfortunate though.  Won't folks package <video> widgets using
> iframes?  I guess they'll need to include this silly attribute in
> their "copy-and-paste this markup" code in order for full screen to
> work.

Right.

> On Sun, Aug 22, 2010 at 8:00 PM, Robert O'Callahan <robert at ocallahan.org>
> wrote:
> > On Sun, Aug 22, 2010 at 4:12 AM, Adam Barth <w3c at adambarth.com> wrote:
> >> This doesn't seem like a good model for full-screen.  I would think
> >> the model of re-parenting the content to a popup window that fills the
> >> entire screen would be a better model.
> >
> > I think that model is a lot harder to spec and a lot harder for Web
> authors
> > to understand. I'd certainly be interested in looking at a proposal if
> > someone wants to pursue that approach.
>
> There's been some work in WebKit around the concept of a "magic
> iframe" that keeps it's environment intact even when it's adopted from
> one document to another.  I'm not sure how much of that has been
> discussed for standardization, but you could imagine a model like that
> working where a frame is adopted into a "popup" window that fills the
> screen.

That's sorta-ok if your video is a subframe that you treat as a black box.
But if your video element is just an element in your page with event
handlers attached to it, and with various scripts that interact with it, and
you rip that element out (plus maybe some supporting elements representing
your player UI) and drop it in another document, it seems to me you're going
to have to code very carefully to ensure it keeps working over there (and
the original page doesn't get into a bad state). If there's confirmation UI
so that the movement between documents happens asynchronously, it's even
more exciting. Moving the element back when the user exits fullscreen has
similar issues.

Maybe there are ways to make that model easy and convenient for authors. I'd
like to see a proposal.

Rob