[whatwg] Fullscreen feedback

Adam Barth w3c at adambarth.com
Sun Aug 22 22:25:21 PDT 2010

On Sun, Aug 22, 2010 at 10:11 PM, Robert O'Callahan
<robert at ocallahan.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 5:03 PM, Adam Barth <w3c at adambarth.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, Aug 22, 2010 at 9:56 PM, Robert O'Callahan <robert at ocallahan.org>
>> wrote:
>> >
>> > It requires the author to put each part of their page that they want to
>> > go
>> > fullscreen into its own subframe. That is cumbersome. With my proposal,
>> > most
>> > existing pages and player UIs would work if you just call
>> > "element.requestFullScreen()" in some event handler.
>>
>> But it doesn't go full screen, right?  Didn't you say above that the
>> location bar is still there?
>
> That depends on the UA. Assuming we implement this API using our existing
> fullscreen functionality, in Firefox the element would be fullscreen, but if
> the user moves the mouse to the very top of the screen some browser chrome
> will pop down temporarily, including the URL bar.

So...  The trade-off is:

1) Only browsing contexts can go full-screen (since they have URLs
that we could display).
2) Any element can go full-screen, but we'll need to add a nasty
non-semantic attribute.

Another idea is that we could let any element go full-screen, but then
we'd show the URL of its browsing context.  There's some subtleties
here about overlays from parent frames, but those seem solvable.

Adam