[whatwg] Discussing WebSRT and alternatives/improvements

Philip Jägenstedt philipj at opera.com
Wed Aug 25 00:15:38 PDT 2010

On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 17:54:41 +0200, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 8:07 AM, Philip Jägenstedt <philipj at opera.com>
> wrote:
>> On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 16:21:28 +0200, Henri Sivonen <hsivonen at iki.fi>
>> wrote:
>>> I'd be OK with not supporting karaoke or anime fansubbing at all
>>> declaratively (requiring those use cases to be addressed in
>>> JavaScript) or
>>> with using more verbose syntax like <t t=00:01:30>...</t>.
>>
>> I'd also be fine with not having intra-cue timing, but adding new
>> elements
>> or attributes to HTML just for WebSRT seems odd.
>
> I'm not sure why this is particularly bad.  It's likely not worth
> adding *several* elements, but one or two for a relatively significant
> subsection of HTML seems appropriate, if necessary.
>
> (I don't see a significant difference between <00:01:30> and <t
> t=00:01:30></t>.)

Would you suggest that such new elements be valid in all HTML documents,
or just in WebSRT?

Assuming that this is only for intra-cue timings, it really doesn't seem
worth the effort either way.

Using the HTML parser doesn't seem like it would be a real saving in
implementation cost, so what's the point?

--
Philip Jägenstedt
Core Developer