[whatwg] Have tabstrip / tab elements been discussed?

E.J. Zufelt lists at zufelt.ca
Fri Aug 27 22:10:42 PDT 2010

On 2010-08-28, at 12:59 AM, Nils Dagsson Moskopp wrote:

> "E.J. Zufelt" <lists at zufelt.ca> schrieb am Sat, 28 Aug 2010 00:54:06
> -0400:
>
>> […]
>>
>> I am rather new to this list and am curious if anytime recently there
>> has been discussion about adding tabstrip and tab elements to the
>> html5 spec?  The concept of a tabstrip is a rather commonly used UI
>> component on the web (web-applications, content management systems,
>> facetted searches) and it would be particularly useful for
>> accessibility if we could communicate the semantics of the tabstrip
>> through markup.
>>
>> […]
>
> In your opinion, what is wrong with using <nav> and (nested) list
> elements?

Using nav with a nested list has two problems that I can see.

1. nav is for navigation, but in a web app selecting a tab may nave nothing to do with "navigation", it may have to do with switching UI pages, which could potentially be considered "navigation".

2. Unless a list item can receive a selected attribute, then we would still have no method of presenting information about the selected tab through markup alone.  Commonly the selected tab is given a class such as "tab-selected" and this meaning is communicated through style alone.

Thanks,
Everett