[whatwg] [html5] r4949 - [giow] (0) The CSS rules need to do attribute value matching consistently across [...]

Anne van Kesteren annevk at opera.com
Mon Aug 30 05:40:19 PDT 2010

On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 14:35:03 +0200, L. David Baron <dbaron at dbaron.org>
wrote:
> But the problem with adding a new general selectors feature is that
> authors will discover it and try to use it for things that aren't ok
> being ASCII-only.

Yeah, maybe. But we could define it as some kind of token feature. As far
as I know we do not have any markup languages which use compatibility
caseless tokens. And hopefully we are not going to introduce any either.

Alternatively you could have something like input:type(password) I
suppose. Would work slightly better for unknown controls that fallback to
text, too.

Or even more alternatively we could decide not to care about this being
difficult to select since in practice people will use lowercase values.

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/