[whatwg] Please consider adding a couple more datetime <input> types - type="year" and type="month-day"

Christoph Päper christoph.paeper at crissov.de
Tue Aug 31 03:06:12 PDT 2010

I’m not sure, but I think it’s at your end that character encodings get garbled.

Ian Hickson:
> On Tue, 24 Aug 2010, Christoph Päper wrote:
>>
>> - Input two-digit year, transmit four-digit year.
>
> Do sites really want to support two-digit years?

Not sites, year input widgets!

>> - Input year name or number in a different system (including “AD”/“BC”/“CE”, emperor eras etc.), transmit proleptic Gregorian year number.
>
> Non-contemporary dates aren't in the most common 80% of use cases,

“2010 AD” is contemporary (although too verbose for most use cases).
It’s just about what the user enters and sees, not about what gets to the server.

My sole point was that “year” is not always conceptually a 4-digit number for the users, but it should always be when it arrives at the server. This includes the Japanese use case.

> Are any browsers interested in implementing such a feature?

The OS I’m using at home supports 12 kinds of calendars, other popular OSes probably have similar i18n support. Why shouldn’t browsers?