[whatwg] Video with MIME type application/octet-stream

Anne van Kesteren annevk at opera.com
Tue Aug 31 06:57:52 PDT 2010

Devil's advocate.

On Tue, 31 Aug 2010 15:40:18 +0200, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky at mit.edu> wrote:
> On 8/31/10 3:36 AM, Ian Hickson wrote:
>> The Microsoft guys responded to my suggestion that they might want to
>> implement something like this with "what's the benefit of doing that?".
>
> One obvious benefit is that videos with the wrong type will not work,
> and hence videos will be sent with the right type.
>
> If the question is what the benefits of that are, one is that the "view
> video in new window" context menu option actually works.

If you sniff you can sniff there too.

> Another benefit is that you can send someone the link to the video,
> instead of the embedding page, and it will work.

If you sniff you can sniff there too. (Unless that user uses a
competitor's browser, but that would be an incentive to encourage that
user to use the sniffing browser.)

> Another is that when you save the video to disk the browser will fix up
> the extension correctly, if needed.

If you sniff you can fix it up correctly too.

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/