[whatwg] @srcdoc and default @sandbox

Justin Schuh jschuh at chromium.org
Tue Aug 31 09:32:38 PDT 2010

But @seamless has a general utility that isn't served in any other
capacity. That's not the case for @srcdoc.

> My point being, don't mix up orthogonal features in arbitrary ways. If @srcdoc implies @sandbox, but @seamless does not, someone reviewing for security has to remember exactly which set of similar-sounding attributes cause sandboxing, instead of following the simple rule "just look for @sandbox". Things are clearer when security policy is explicit, and not implied by non-security behaviors.

As someone who spends the majority of his time doing security
assessments and code audits, I disagree. I'd happily accept an easily
reducible false positive over a feature that simply fails open with no
security whatsoever. My reasoning here is that the vast majority of
software doesn't get security reviews, which is why secure defaults
are generally far more effective. This is particularly true when you
consider that misuse of @seamless or @srcdoc will fail obviously and
quickly in nearly all applications. However, a missing @sandbox is
just the kind of thing that's very likely to go undetected.

Regards,
-j