[whatwg] XMLHttpRequest and HTML5

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Tue Dec 7 15:48:42 PST 2010

On Tue, 31 Aug 2010, Anne van Kesteren wrote:
> On Tue, 31 Aug 2010 01:58:52 +0200, Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> wrote:
> > On Sat, 7 Aug 2010, Anne van Kesteren wrote:
> > > 2) Is there any reason we cannot also use this "no browsing context"
> > > clause to define document.cookie rather than having a special type
> > > of Document object? Seems much better.
> >
> > Since the spec is already written... I can see cases where you could
> > have a Document that had no browsing context but did have cookies.
> > So...
>
> But there are no such cases currently. It would be nicer if the special
> casing was the other way around so XMLHttpRequest did not have to say
> anything. (And Web DOM Core when it is written.)

I've changed the spec to do this automatically for browsing-context-free
documents, so you can remove the text from XHR. (I still internally to the
spec use the term, since data: documents still fall into that category.)

> > > 6) If you provide some hook or tell me how to do it I can define the
> > > origin of the Document returned by responseXML in XMLHttpRequest.
> >
> > HTML already defines this. Or do you mean we should move that to the
> > XHR spec?
>
> That is what I meant, yes.

Done. See the diff for sample text (in a comment).

> > > If we can do all this that should turn it into a one-way dependency
> > > with most definitions being completely self-contained.
> >
> > I'm not sure it's worth it in the case of the origin thing.
>
> So what happens when we define how to get a Document out of a File?

We would update the HTML spec. Or, now, the File spec can define it.
Either is fine by me. I still think that we should set up a
post-processing step that merges all these specs into one anyway. :-)