[whatwg] Device Element

Seth Brown learc83 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 27 18:16:20 PST 2010

I saw on the spec page that you were considering limiting the device
element to audio/visual streams. I thinks this would be a mistake.

I'm currently working on integrating serial port connected hardware
with a web application I'm developing. The only solution is for the
user to install local adapter software. This defeats the purpose of
using a web app over desktop software.

In order for web applications to be gain traction over desktop
software, they must be able to interface with usb/RS232. I believe the
security trade off is worth it.

I also believe that the working group should make the device element
spec a high priority. If you don't google will probably implement
their own version for chrome OS(it will be necessary in a browser
based OS model).

Thanks,
Seth Brown