[whatwg] Bluetooth devices

Aryeh Gregor Simetrical+w3c at gmail.com
Wed Dec 15 09:02:19 PST 2010

On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 10:12 AM, Bjartur Thorlacius
<svartman95 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I still don't grasp how that could be useful. Please provide an example.
> So you've got a non-kb, mouse, headphone or camera device, say a
> permanent storage drive.

No, not something so general-purpose.  Say it's some type of device
where the market is so small that standardization is infeasible --
maybe it's only useful in a particular specialty, and there are only
one or two low-volume vendors.  Or maybe it's some new type of device
where the market is uncertain and nothing has been standardized yet.
Given that there's no standard high-level way to interact with the
device, it might be desirable to have *some* way to interact with it,
necessarily generic and low-level.  Probably along the lines of
sending and receiving binary messages.

At least that's the general idea I get.  I can't give any specific
examples, but I don't think mass-market stuff like permanent storage
drives is what we're talking about here.  (We already have filesystem
APIs in the works anyway, right?)  Of course, more specific real-world
use-cases would be necessary before anyone would consider speccing
something like this.