[whatwg] Proposal for a tab visibility API

Alex Komoroske komoroske at chromium.org
Mon Dec 20 14:16:34 PST 2010

Ah, yes, thank you Boris, I think I understand now.

Note that the actual proposal doesn't depend on the existence of a UI
construct called "tabs" that operate like they do on desktop browsers today.

I think the better way to think about it is, if the content of the page is
partially visible on *any *screen then it should be considered visible.  If
it's not visible at all, then it can be considered "hidden". This will
differ on different browsers and different platforms.   I used the word
"tab" only for help in explaining the proposal because today the majority of
shipping browsers have a consistent notion of tabs.  I agree with you that
new UI constructs (and platforms, especially mobile) will change what a
"tab" means.

But I think overall the discussion about precisely what a tab means is not
central to the core proposal.  Is that reasonable?

--Alex