[whatwg] Bluetooth devices

Aryeh Gregor Simetrical+w3c at gmail.com
Mon Dec 27 09:53:57 PST 2010

On Sun, Dec 26, 2010 at 1:12 PM, Bjartur Thorlacius
<svartman95 at gmail.com> wrote:
> The solution to that problem would be
> improved package management, not masquerading applications as web
> pages.

Isn't masquerading applications as web pages the entire point of HTML5
(originally "Web Applications 1.0") and the WHATWG ("Web Hypertext
Applications Working Group")?

> If I understand you correctly, your applet is OS and arch-dependant, and
> depends on a JRE and a web browser. Why not just use the JRE?

Well, it's non-standard and more or less proprietary (given Oracle's
lawsuit against Google).  So the question we should be asking here is,
why *would* you use Java or Flash instead of HTML5, and how can we fix
that?  In this case, I think we have bigger fish to fry for the time
being, but some sort of peripheral driver interface for web apps would
be a good idea to have eventually.  At least Chrome OS will certainly
need it.