[whatwg] Question about gradient stops in canvas and parsing as CSS colors

Boris Zbarsky bzbarsky at MIT.EDU
Wed Dec 29 15:16:49 PST 2010

On 12/29/10 3:07 PM, Ian Hickson wrote:
>> * Webkit simply doesn't implement CSS 2.1 section 4.2 correctly
>>
>> * Opera throws an exception from the addColorStop call above, but shows
>>    lime text if loading this:
>>      data:text/html,<span style="color: rgb(0, 255, 0">Lime</span>
>>
>> * Gecko shows lime text in the HTML testcase and treats the color stop
>>    above as valid rgba(0, 0, 0, 0).
>>
>> Clearly I happen to think Gecko's behavior is the sane one here, but
>> there's a clear interoperability problem either way.  Certainly Opera
>> and Gecko interpreted the spec differently.
>
> Your interpretation is correct. I've fixed one point in the HTML spec that
> was phrased in terms of validity rather than in terms of successful
> parsing, and added a paragraph and example clarifying this, along with
> cross-references to this paragraph where relevant.

Sounds good.

Assuming the new text is in the "CSS Modules" section, there's a minor
typo: the text "as it closing the open construct" should not have "it"
there.

-Boris