[whatwg] Lists and legal documents

Anne van Kesteren annevk at opera.com
Fri Feb 5 07:21:03 PST 2010

Legal documents often use various indicators for list items. E.g.

   a. ...
   b. ...
   c. ...

or

   1. ...
   2. ...
   3. ...

or

     I. ...
    II. ...
   III. ...

or

   A. ...
   B. ...
   C. ...

etc.

These indicators are part of the content and cannot be governed by style
sheets. End users having their own custom style sheets overwriting the
indicators with their own preference would be a problem, for instance.

I have seen at least one editor used that generates markup like this:

   <ul>

to work around this. You can see this online here:

   http://regels-stadskanaal.nl/

I think it would be good if we either solved this problem natively or at
least gave some advice for people finding themselves in a similar
situation.

(That editor/site also has ordered definition lists, with similar markup.)

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/