[whatwg] Lists and legal documents

Tab Atkins Jr. jackalmage at gmail.com
Sat Feb 6 06:54:20 PST 2010

On Sat, Feb 6, 2010 at 4:31 AM, Markus Ernst <derernst at gmx.ch> wrote:
> This looks like part of a more general problem to me. There are more
> situations where you want custom content in the place of list indicators:
>
> For example, in a CV you might want the years there:
>
> 1977      ...
> 1978-1982 ...

I think a <table> is perfectly appropriate here.  I used one in my
resume.  It's completely justifiable as tabular data.

> Or, very common in forms, a check box or radio button:
>
> o ...
> o ...

Simply putting the checkbox as the first content in the <li> works
well for me there.  You can then suppress the list-style or not.

There may be drafts appearing in the future that would allow you to
flow the input into the ::marker, though.

> Third (this a pure style problem though), sometimes you want just some
> custom character there, such as an n-dash:
>
> – ...
> – ...
>
> While the third one can be achieved with al list-style-image, with the
> downside that it will not be affected by changes of the text size,

Alternately, use the content property on ::marker (or :before).  Then
you can provide real text that will resize appropriately.

~TJ