[whatwg] Lists and legal documents

David Bruant bruant at enseirb-matmeca.fr
Sat Feb 6 14:18:19 PST 2010

Le 05/02/2010 07:21, Anne van Kesteren a écrit :
> Legal documents often use various indicators for list items. E.g.
>
>   a. ...
>   b. ...
>   c. ...
>
> or
>
>   1. ...
>   2. ...
>   3. ...
>
> or
>
>     I. ...
>    II. ...
>   III. ...
>
> or
>
>   A. ...
>   B. ...
>   C. ...
>
> etc.
>
> These indicators are part of the content and cannot be governed by
> style sheets. End users having their own custom style sheets
> overwriting the indicators with their own preference would be a
> problem, for instance.
>
> I have seen at least one editor used that generates markup like this:
>
> <ul>
>
> to work around this. You can see this online here:
>
>   http://regels-stadskanaal.nl/
>
> I think it would be good if we either solved this problem natively or
> at least gave some advice for people finding themselves in a similar
> situation.
>

> (That editor/site also has ordered definition lists, with similar
> markup.)

One solution could be to use <style> element with "scoped" attribute to
define a style only for those lists. This way, embedding a document will
embed the style element. And if the styles within the <style> are
exhaustive enough, there is no risk of overwriting by end user
stylesheet, isn't it ?

something like this :

<section id="mylegaldocument">
     ol{}