[whatwg] <video> feedback

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Wed Feb 10 13:54:16 PST 2010

On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 4:37 PM, Robert O'Callahan <robert at ocallahan.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 8:19 AM, Brian Campbell <lambda at continuation.org>
> wrote:
>>
>> But no, this isn't something I would consider to be production quality.
>> But perhaps if the WebGL typed arrays catch on, and start being used in more
>> places, you might be able to start doing this with reasonable performance.
>
> With WebGL you could do the chroma-key processing on the GPU, and
> performance should be excellent. In fact you could probably prototype this
> today in Firefox.

You're not going to get solid professional quality keying results just
by depending on a client side keying algorithm, even a computationally
expensive one, without the ability to perform manual fixups.

Being able to manipulate video data on the client is a powerful tool,
but its not necessarily the right tool for every purpose.