[whatwg] Notification API

Drew Wilson atwilson at google.com
Wed Feb 3 13:09:22 PST 2010

BTW, I would highly recommend that we move this conversation to the
public-webapps list. I'm not sure about the best way to do this other than
to stop posting here, starting...um...right after my reply :)

Anyhow, your question below outlines is why there are two exposed
notification APIs - one is simple, lowest-common-denominator text + icon
notifications (createNotification()), and the other is HTML
(createHTMLNotification()). Platforms (such as mobile devices) that can't
support popup HTML notifications can just not expose the
createHTMLNotification attribute. Likewise, if the user on a given system
just wants to force everyone to use text + icon notifications because he
finds the mix of (say) Growl and HTML notifications jarring, then the UA
could provide an option for that (which would cause the UA to not expose the
createHTMLNotification attribute).

-atw