[whatwg] Qs about <details> element

Philippe Wittenbergh emps at l-c-n.com
Thu Feb 4 04:51:19 PST 2010

On Feb 4, 2010, at 9:21 PM, Ian Hickson wrote:

>> 2) What should UAs do when printing? It seems to me that, when printing,
>> a <details> element should be open, regardless of the state of the
>> boolean open attribute. (because it's a markup attribute, there is
>> presumably now way for a print stylesheet to override this). Can that be
>> added to the spec?
>
> Generally speaking, browser vendors have found that people expect their
> "print" features to just print what's on the screen. However, I'm
> certainly open to changing the spec on this if the browser vendors feel
> the spec should change -- any implementors have an opinion on this?

As a page author and site developer (and as a user), I would certainly want the possibility to display the content of the details element when printing, insofar as it is relevant to the document in a printed state.
(that is, a print stylesheet should be able to override the onscreen display state of <details>)

Philippe
---
Philippe Wittenbergh
http://l-c-n.com/