[whatwg] Drag-and-drop feedback

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Thu Feb 4 17:28:17 PST 2010

On Thu, 4 Feb 2010, Daniel Cheng wrote:

> > Webkit and Firefox are case-sensitive. IE only does "TEXT" and "URL",
> > but case-insensitively (at least for Text, I didn't test URL). Chrome
> > is case-insensitive for everything.
> >
> > Tough call. I guess we'll go with just converting everything to
> > lowercase, so that it's case-insensitive.
> >
> > BTW I noticed Chrome includes "Text" and "URL" in the .types list.
> > That's incorrect according to the spec.
>
> If event.dataTransfer converts everything to lowercase, that means there
> are native formats that will always be impossible to access.

The spec requires that the UA lowercase all the native types as well (and
that they be converted to MIME types).

Could you elaborate on which types would be a problem, and on what
platforms?

> Since "text" and "url" are already special, maybe case should only be
> ignored for those two. All other formats, even if they are actually MIME
> type strings, should be handled in a case-sensitive manner.

In your previous e-mail, you were arguing they should be
case-insensitive... I think your earlier arguments are more persuasive.
The MIME type specs do say they're case-insensitive.