[whatwg] Uploading directories of files

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Fri Feb 12 00:06:18 PST 2010

This thread (of which some especially salient points are included below)
requested the addition of a feature or the codifying of a convention for
uploading directory tree structures in <input type=file>.

I think that including relative directory paths with uploads is a quite
reasonable feature. However, I don't think we really yet have good
experience with what the right conventions should be. I would recommend
that browser vendors experiment with this feature and report back their
findings, so that we can converge on a proven convention.

On Sun, 13 Dec 2009, Jonas Sicking wrote:

> The only change needed as far as I can tell is to say that *if* the File
> objects contain any path information, that that path information is
> included as part of the filename when the data is submitted.

The spec doesn't actually disallow that currently; it just refers to "the
name" without saying whether a name can include / or \ characters.