[whatwg] validationMessage

Anne van Kesteren annevk at opera.com
Fri Feb 12 00:20:21 PST 2010

You wrote in that thread:

> This seems like an attempt to make life slightly easier on webpage
> authors by providing boilerplate UI if they don't want to write
> anything.  But I see that as a small benefit with significant edge
> cases.  Authors are already expected to supply the textual content inthe
> page, the text in alerts, etc., so providing the text in the"validation
> failed" UI doesn't seem that bad.  The UA can still dothings like turn
> fields red or add warning sign icons or something if itlikes.

Isn't the benefit rather big? I can just use <input type=email> on my page
and the user agent will take care of ensuring it is correct (on the client
side) and provide the appropriate messages to the user in case the user
made a mistake. Anything beyond that will require scripting which seems
overkill for e.g. blog comments.

I'm not too convinced with #2 though so exposing the message is probably
not needed. (And if the user agent can somehow provide a non-textual user
interface for the above that should be allowed too.)

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/