[whatwg] The examples of the list attribute of the input element is incorrect

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Fri Feb 12 04:28:31 PST 2010

On Wed, 6 Jan 2010, Futomi Hatano wrote:

> There is a example which shows how to mark up fallback contents of the
> datalist element.

>  <label>
>   Enter a breed:
>   <input type="text" name="breed" list="breeds">
>  </label>
>  <datalist id="breeds">
>   <label>
>    or select one from the list:
>    <select name="breed">
>     <option value=""> (none selected)
>     <option>Abyssinian
>     <option>Alpaca
>     <!-- ... -->
>    </select>
>   </label>
>  </datalist>
>
> I think that this example is incorrect. [...] But it does not work in
> UAs which support the datalist element as expected (i.e. the suggests
> are not shown.), because the option elements do not have a value
> attribute.
>
> The spec says that a value attribute is required in the option element
> for a suggestion.
> http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/the-button-element.html#the-datalist-element

It doesn't say they have to have a value _attribute_, it says it has to
have a value. "Value" in this context is defined:

   http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/the-button-element.html#concept-option-value

...as "The value of an option element is the value of the value attribute,
if there is one, or the textContent of the element, if there isn't".