[whatwg] should async scripts block the document's load event?

Boris Zbarsky bzbarsky at MIT.EDU
Sat Feb 13 12:15:16 PST 2010

On 2/13/10 9:29 AM, Darin Fisher wrote:
> The Mozilla network code uses the phrase "load background" to describe a
> load that happens asynchronously in the background _and_ does not block
> onload.  Perhaps not coincidentally, this mode is used to load
> background images :-)

It used to be.  It's not anymore, because it was not compatible with
what other UAs did or with web developer expectations.  At this point
the background mode is only used for async XHR, and then only because
background modes don't make the throbber spin.  Otherwise we wouldn't
use it for anything at all.

Which is my real worry about making any loads that don't block onload:
would web developers expect them to?

-Boris