[whatwg] canvas, img, file api and blobs

Maciej Stachowiak mjs at apple.com
Tue Feb 16 02:08:39 PST 2010

On Feb 16, 2010, at 12:13 AM, Jonas Sicking wrote:

> Absolutely! I definitely agree that we need a type like this. The
> sooner the better. On that note, do you know what the latest status is
> within ECMA on this? I know you made a proposal on the webapps list
> (or was it here?), did that go anywhere?

I made my proposal to ECMA TC-39 (the relevant committee). I will try
to polish it and request it as an agenda item for the next face-to-
face (in March). Independently, WebGL's typed arrays have been proposed.

> However I suspect it'd be useful to be able to extract as Blob object
> as well, for storing in places like databases or to extract a url.

If we end up with APIs in some places that only take Blobs as input,
then we should probably have easy ways to make a Blob out of a binary
data object or a string (like StringStreams in other languages).

Regards,
Maciej