[whatwg] canvas, img, file api and blobs

Joel Webber jgw at google.com
Tue Feb 16 08:39:31 PST 2010

On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 7:38 AM, Stefan Haustein <haustein at google.com>wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 10:08 AM, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs at apple.com> wrote:
>

>> On Feb 16, 2010, at 12:13 AM, Jonas Sicking wrote:
>>

>>> Absolutely! I definitely agree that we need a type like this. The
>>> sooner the better. On that note, do you know what the latest status is
>>> within ECMA on this? I know you made a proposal on the webapps list
>>> (or was it here?), did that go anywhere?
>>>

>> I made my proposal to ECMA TC-39 (the relevant committee). I will try to
>> polish it and request it as an agenda item for the next face-to-face (in
>> March). Independently, WebGL's typed arrays have been proposed.
>

> Hi Maciej,
>
> do you have a link to your proposal?

And in particular, does it bear any resemblance to the WebGLArray
interfaces, as proposed in (
http://people.mozilla.com/~vladimir/jsvec/TypedArray-spec.html)? I'm
particularly concerned with the interfaces among all these different
subsystems (WebGL, Canvas, XHR, File, etc., as being discussed on this
thread) that want to operate on binary data.

We've found that getting data from XHR to WebGL via WebGLArrays to be a huge
(read: probably orders-of-magnitude) bottleneck; but being able to slice
mesh and texture data out of arrays directly from XHR responses would
completely fix this.