[whatwg] Customize HTML5 forms placeholder style

L. David Baron dbaron at dbaron.org
Thu Feb 18 14:27:03 PST 2010

On Thursday 2010-02-18 13:58 -0600, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> I agree that having a pseudoelement for the placeholder text is a good
> idea.  Perhaps you could bring it up on the www-style list so we can
> decide precisely what properties should apply to it?  It seems
> reasonable to apply the same restrictions that we currently put on
> ::first-line (http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/selector.html#first-line-pseudo,
> last paragraph of the section).

It doesn't need to be nearly as restricted as :first-line, since
it's tree-like.  It's much more like :before and :after.

(For more on the distinctions, see the comment I wrote at
http://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/file/4cabe72ad940/layout/style/nsCSSPseudoElements.h#l50
, and note that it mentions a third intermediate category, in which
some proposed XForms pseudo-elements, and perhaps some future
pseudo-elements, would fit.)

-David