[whatwg] Customize HTML5 forms placeholder style

Boris Zbarsky bzbarsky at MIT.EDU
Thu Feb 18 14:35:10 PST 2010

On 2/18/10 5:21 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> That doesn't seem like a horrible problem to me.  Most people don't
> set color on inputs

I just checked that claim on a few sites (the first ones that came to
mind).  Most of these are search fields; the rest are login fields.

These set input colors:
bing.com (but doesn't set background)
w3.org

These do not:
google.com
amazon.com (but does set the background(!))
consumerreports.org
bugzilla.mozilla.org

So all I can conclude is that maybe you're right and maybe not....

> and when they do, it's at least guaranteed that
> the color is *usable* for placeholder, even if it's not ideal.

Right; it might well make it look like the placeholder is actual text in
the field.

-Bois