[whatwg] Video tag in IE

Silvia Pfeiffer silviapfeiffer1 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 22 13:59:37 PST 2010

On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 9:28 PM, Henri Sivonen <hsivonen at iki.fi> wrote:
> On Feb 22, 2010, at 03:26, Gregory Maxwell wrote:
>
>> I thought the list might appreciate this news regarding plugin-added
>> <video/> support in Internet Explorer:
>>
>> http://cristianadam.blogspot.com/2010/02/ie-tag-take-two.html
>
> This is great news!
>
> This part is odd, though: 'To enable <video> tag for Internet Explorer you need to add xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml/video" attribute.'
>
> Why is that attribute needed and how did the URL get minted?

Henri,

you might want to check out Cristian's earlier blog about the IE plugin:

http://cristianadam.blogspot.com/2010/01/ie-tag.html

Cristian tells me: IE8 needs to make the connection between <video>
tag and it's implementor through that additional attribute. The IE6,
IE7 way is way uglier than a xmlns attribute.

Cheers,
Silvia.