[whatwg] Multiple file download

Jose Fandos iaminlondon at gmail.com
Tue Feb 23 10:12:07 PST 2010

On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 5:07 PM, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky at mit.edu> wrote:

> On 2/23/10 5:10 AM, Jose Fandos wrote:
>
>> What doesn't seem to be there, unless a java applet is used (haven't
>> come across one using flash) is the multiple file download. Even Google
>> Docs uses a zip file to download multiple files.
>>

> What do you mean in terms of "multiple file download"?

Download 10 files as 10 separate files, without having to

a) Okay the saving of each file to your drive independently
b) Downloading them as a zip file that then needs to be uncompressed by the
end user

Imagine a list of files showing on a website (like google docs, or like you
would have in a default ftp listing in firefox). Scripting would allow a
selection of a number of these files and a download button would open a
dialog on the UA to select the folder where the files will be copied to.

You can do this right now in two ways:

> 1)  An archive file (your zip example) with the files in it.

This is b) which we have, agreed, but not what I meant by allowing multiple
file download. It's allowing the download of just one file, the zip file.

> 2)  A multipart response with the files as parts, each part having

as far as I know, and I could be wrong, this would suffer from what I
described in a), i.e. there would be a dialog propping up to accept each
downloaded file.

> You can gzip this multipart response to get the compression behavior you
> want.

I was suggesting the resource packages as a way to make use of
compression/decompression.

/J

--
Jose Fandos