[whatwg] Customize HTML5 forms placeholder style

Aryeh Gregor Simetrical+w3c at gmail.com
Tue Feb 23 16:14:11 PST 2010

On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 6:30 PM, Ashley Sheridan
<ash at ashleysheridan.co.uk> wrote:
> I think it's perfectly reasonable if they decide to use colours that differ wildly from the 'norm'. They are used to setting the color value when they set the background-color (although not always the other way around)

It's extremely common to mess that up.  This would be even worse in
some ways, since it would only be relevant for a small minority of
elements (inputs with placeholders set).  And because it would be so
uncommon, when it *would* come up, normal authors would be unlikely to
know the correct pseudo-class/element to fix it.  So I do think it
would be valuable to not require extra declarations from authors.

On the other hand, the problem will only come up if the author uses
placeholders *and* colors inputs, so its practical impact is limited.
And of course the author will see it during even cursory testing,
unlike relying on default background-color.  So it's not really
critical, but would be nice to have anyway.