[whatwg] HTML Cookie API

Adam Barth w3c at adambarth.com
Wed Feb 24 08:44:21 PST 2010

On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 12:12 AM, Anne van Kesteren <annevk at opera.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Feb 2010 05:56:31 +0100, Adam Barth <w3c at adambarth.com> wrote:
>> The document.cookie API is kind of terrible.  Web developers shouldn't
>> have to parse a cookie-string or prepare a properly formated
>> set-cookie-string.  Here's a proposal for an HTML cookie API that
>> isn't as terrible:
>>

>> https://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AZpchfQ5mBrEZGQ0cDh3YzRfMTRmdHFma21kMg&hl=en
>>
>> I'd like to propose we include this API in a future version of HTML.
>> As always, feedback welcome.
>
> On http-state you argue that we should replace the cookie protocol with
> something else. Why would we want a better API for cookies then?

We're going to be stuck with cookies for a long time.  We might as
well make the APIs for interacting with them not terrible.
Independent of that, I think we should warn people who aren't yet
stuck with cookies to avoid them.  However, the prevailing opinion in
that working group appears to be to remove that piece of advice.

Adam