[whatwg] Microdata feedback

Jeremy Keith jeremy at adactio.com
Mon Jan 18 07:24:46 PST 2010

Hixie wrote:
>> Finally on vCard, the final part of the extraction algorithm goes to
>> great trouble to guess what is the family name and what is the given
>> name. This guess will be broken for transliterated east Asian names
>> (CJKV that I know of, maybe others too). Just saying. Also, why is it
>> important to explicitly add N:;;;; for organizations?
>
> This is intended to be compatible with Microformats vCard, which has
> these weird rules. If you think we should remove them, please at least
> first speak to Tantek and see why he thinks.

The fn optimisation pattern isn't intended to catch 100% of cases,
just the situation "Firstname Lastname" or "Firstname Middlename
Lastname". So if you just use fn (formatted name) and don't use n
(name), the name will be extracted/guessed using the optimisation
pattern.

In cases where the pattern doesn't work (e.g. "Anne van Kesteren", or
east Asian names) you can still explicitly specify the family name and
given name, over-riding the fn optimisation pattern. If you do this,
you need to explicitly state this is the name (n) as well as the
formatted name (fn).

Similarly, for organisations, you don't have to explicitly set n
(name) if you apply both fn (formatted name) and org (organisation
name) to a string. This time, the optimisation pattern assumes that
the fn is the name of the organisation.

Technically, the n property is *always* required but if you use either
of those two optimisation patterns, the n is inferred from fn.

HTH,

Jeremy

--
Jeremy Keith