[whatwg] <video> application/octet-stream

Philip Jägenstedt philipj at opera.com
Mon Jul 19 04:20:40 PDT 2010

http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/video.html#mime-types

There was some discussion about this, last in
<http://lists.whatwg.org/htdig.cgi/whatwg-whatwg.org/2010-May/026409.html>

I've tested Firefox 3.6.4, Firefox 4.0b1 and Chrome 5.0.375.99 and none
return "maybe" for canPlayType("application/octet-stream"). I couldn't get
meaningful results from Safari on Windows (requires restart to detect
QuickTime, perhaps?).

It would appear that Opera is the only browser that supports
application/octet-stream. At the time I added this, it was simply because
it is true, maybe we can play it. However, I see no practical benefit of
this spec-wise or implementation-wise. Since no other browsers have
implemented it, I am going to remove it from Opera and hope that the spec
will be changed to match this.

--
Philip Jägenstedt
Core Developer