[whatwg] Fwd: Timed tracks for <video>

Silvia Pfeiffer silviapfeiffer1 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 26 16:37:00 PDT 2010

Some further thoughts on the <track> element.

http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/video.html#the-track-element

The @kind attribute is currently serving several purposes. This may be ok,
but we need to be aware of it and maybe include a note in its description
about it.

Firstly, the @kind attribute describes semantically what the track is: a
subtitle, caption, textual description, chapters or "metadata" (i.e.
"anything") track.

Secondly, the @kind attribute implies whether the track will be displayed:
subtitle and caption are rendered (right now just for the video viewport,
but I am hoping we can make this more general), chapters are probably
rendered with the controls, and textual descriptions and "metadata" are not
rendered.

Thirdly, the @kind attribute implies what parser will be used on the cues:
subtitle, caption and chapters are parsed as simple markup, chapters are
parsed as just plain text stripped of any markup (so speech synthesizers and
braille devices can deal with it), and "metadata" is parsed as arbitrary
data for script use only.

I think by understanding this and by making this explicit in the spec, we
can more clearly decide what track kinds are still missing and also what we
actually need to implement.

Cheers,
Silvia.