[whatwg] More YouTube response

Shane Fagan shanepatrickfagan at ubuntu.com
Mon Jul 5 13:46:37 PDT 2010

> Internet Explorer 9 will not support VP8 unless the user manually
> installs the codec.  This puts it at the same level of support as
> Safari has for Theora, as far as I know.  So even if we assume every
> user upgraded to the latest alphas of the browser they used, H.264 is
> supported by about 65% of users' browsers, and VP8 by about 40%.  Of
> course, in reality, less than half of users' browsers support <video>
> at all right now, and given IE uptake rates, that's only going to
> change slowly.

For windows maybe there should be a .exe/.msi with the entire package of
VP8+Theora+Vorbis or just VP8+Vorbis to make it easier to install but
adoption isnt really our issue thats Microsoft's issue if WebM takes
off. I dont foresee it being any harder than Adobe Flash to install for
the regular user so websites could just direct users to the download if
they dont have it already.

Oh and IE is dropping in use according to the media over the past 3
months ever since the browser selection screen came so its becoming less
of an issue in time.

--fagan