[whatwg] More YouTube response

Schalk Neethling schalk at ossreleasefeed.com
Wed Jul 7 04:44:28 PDT 2010

Could not agree more Anne

-----Original Message-----
From: whatwg-bounces at lists.whatwg.org [mailto:whatwg-bounces at lists.whatwg.org] On Behalf Of Anne van Kesteren
Sent: Friday, July 02, 2010 1:38 PM
To: Henri Sivonen; Shane Fagan
Cc: Andy Berkheimer; John Harding; whatwg at whatwg.org
Subject: Re: [whatwg] More YouTube response

On Fri, 02 Jul 2010 12:13:00 +0200, Shane Fagan <shanepatrickfagan at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Well this isnt really a list where we should talk about the dos and
> donts of web content distribution. DRM content can be embedded in the
> video tag and decoded using installable plugins so its not really an
> issue for this list I dont think. We cant dictate how the specs are
> used so try to keep the conversation technology neutral.

Whether playing video requires a plugin is very much an issue for this list, I think. What Henri explained -- not having lock-in to a particular platform because of proprietary plugins -- is a large part of the reason why we have <video> in the first place.

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/