[whatwg] Article: Growing pains afflict HTML5 standardization

Garrett Smith dhtmlkitchen at gmail.com
Sat Jul 10 21:14:06 PDT 2010

On 7/10/10, Schalk Neethling <schalk at ossreleasefeed.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>

> Would love to hear everyone's comments on the following article:
> http://goo.gl/VNg0

The article goes from one thing to another but doesn't make solid
points. I would rather see sectional headings and sections that make a
point. The few headings that you have are improperly capitalized. One
of the headings seems to use an unintentional homonym.

The article starts out by complaining about language. What is your
point about language?

The article could have mentioned the problems with specification
interdependency and the problems with various related w3c groups and
their failings, the political aspects of the W3C and the technical
capacity of its employees and participants

I read where you cited Shelley Powers as a critic of Ian Hickson. I
don't know why this criticism should be considered at all. I read that
you cited Shelley Powers' accomplishments at publishing a large number
of books. I stopped reading at that point.

Although I would rather see technical criticism, that, coming from
cnet.com, would likely come off as hypocritical. Take the HTML, for
example:
http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fnews.cnet.com%2F8301-30685_3-20008935-264.html&charset=%28detect+automatically%29&doctype=Inline&group=0

Garrett