[whatwg] Article: Growing pains afflict HTML5 standardization

Julian Reschke julian.reschke at gmx.de
Mon Jul 12 05:58:51 PDT 2010

On 12.07.2010 14:44, Mike Wilcox wrote:
> On Jul 12, 2010, at 2:30 AM, Julian Reschke wrote:
>> Google:
>> <http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&charset=%28detect+automatically%29&doctype=Inline&group=0
>> <http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&charset=%28detect+automatically%29&doctype=Inline&group=0>>
>> - 35 errors
>
> That's a little different. Google purposely uses unstandardized,
> incorrect HTML in ways that still render in a browser in order to make
> it more difficult for screen scrapers. They also "break it" in a
> different way every week.

How exactly is it different?

Do you think that what Google does somehow is "better"?

Just asking.

As far as I can tell, it just shows that content providers continue to
send whatever happens to work, thus are not concerned at all about
validity (note: there's a permathread about this as well -- why disallow
things that are known the work reliably...).

Best regards, Julian