[whatwg] Proposal: @srctype or @type on <iframe>

Marques Johansson marques at displague.com
Tue Jul 13 04:37:04 PDT 2010

In one of the video related threads someone from Opera said that browsers
have a rough time trying to figure out how to intelligently handle video
content fetches.  I think that a type suggestion, before the Content-type
could help a browser use a more optimal fetch behavior.

If the type of a resource is predefined then the browser can do a partial
request to fetch the meta data of the alleged file format and in the case of
a PDF perhaps the first few pages of content, leaving the rest to be loaded
on demand as the content is scrolled / paginated.  I don't know if this is
really possible with the structure of PDF documents but there are certainly
some media types for which this could be applied.

I would think 'size' may be a partner attribute for hinting fetch behavior.
 The browser doesn't want to have to make more than one request unless there
is good reason to do so.  If the entire PDF is only one page long then a
meta data prefetch and continued fetch would be wasteful.  However if the
filesize was 26mb then a meta data prefetch could indicate where partial
fetches should be made to acquire the 1mb of content that will actually need
to be displayed to the user immediately.  If "type" is a reasonable
attribute to add to all of these elements I would think "size" should also
be considered.  It wouldn't have to be accurate, Content-length would take
priority, but this attribute would serve for hinting purposes.

Perhaps some alternative could be found with a DOM solution.