[whatwg] Web Workers

Boris Zbarsky bzbarsky at MIT.EDU
Thu Jul 22 00:30:55 PDT 2010

On 7/22/10 3:21 AM, Ryan Heise wrote:

>> Note also that said engines are removing said support for various
>> reasons (performance penalties are a large part of it).
>
> Clearly, it has been shown possible to implement threads efficiently in
> other languages

The current browser competitive landscape is such that a 2% difference
in benchmark times ends up exaggerated completely out of proportion by
the marketing and the "journalists" that so love to republish press
releases.

Even an efficient implementation of threading will give you more ovehead
than that, typically.

> and so I do wonder how the decision processes of those
> VM developers might be affected if the spec where changed to mandate
> threads.

They're probably ignore the spec, just like other specs that don't have
buy-in from the people they're supposed to be binding on have been
ignored in the past....

-Boris