[whatwg] <video> application/octet-stream

Philip Jägenstedt philipj at opera.com
Thu Jul 22 03:30:03 PDT 2010

On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 11:22:45 +0200, Henri Sivonen <hsivonen at iki.fi> wrote:

> Chris Double wrote:
>> As I mentioned in a previous email, the sniffing could result in a
>> reasonable amount of data being consumed. I'm sure people who run
>> sites that share HTML 5 video would appreciate browsers not consuming
>> data bandwidth to sniff files that they've already specified as being
>> something the browser doesn't support.
>
> I think the solution to this concern is to allow authors of
> bandwidth-sensitive to specify the type attribute on <source> or the
> Content-Type header on the HTTP response to say something other than
> application/octet-stream or text/plain. For best performance, authors
> should use the type attribute in multi-<source> cases anyway.

Chrome and Safari ignore the MIME type altogether, in my opinion if we
align with that we should do it full out, not just by adding text/plain to
the whitelist, as that would either require (a) canPlayType("text/plain")
to return "maybe" or (b) different code paths for checking the MIME type
in Content-Type and for canPlayType.

--
Philip Jägenstedt
Core Developer