[whatwg] HTMLMediaElement.preload and stalled event

Chris Pearce chris at pearce.org.nz
Thu Jul 22 20:25:37 PDT 2010

  I am implementing HTMLMediaElement.preload in Firefox, and I have a
question:

Should we be periodically firing a "stalled" event at the media element
while we've suspended download of a preload:none or preload:metadata media?

In step 2 of the resource fetch algorithm [1], the spec says "If at any
point the user agent has received no data for more than about three
seconds, then queue a task to fire a simple event named stalled at the
element." But the description of the "stalled" event [2] says "The user
agent is trying to fetch media data, but data is unexpectedly not
forthcoming." The later description seems to imply that we only send
"stalled" events when we unexpectedly stop receiving data, but the
resource fetch algorithm indicates we should send "stalled" events if we
stop receiving data for any reason, even if we suspend the download, and
thus expect to not receive data.

If we should send the stalled events, we should update the description
of the stalled event at [2] to reflect that.

Thanks,
Chris Pearce.

[1]
http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/video.html#concept-media-load-resource